Thursday, September 24, 2009

The BEST camping trip ever...


I texted my sister Mindy and asked her what they were doing the weekend of the 24-26th of July she texted back...'hmmm, let me check with Huston'. Well, Huston had the 24th of July off (only in Utah do you get Pioneer Day off) so we pulled our trailers to the only park with reservations and electricity!
Yampa River State Park, near Hayden Colorado
We Tubed!! Well Mindy and I "lounged" down the River. We entered the river about a 1/4 of a mile upstream and floated down...right into our campground.
Mindy did dinner the first night...amazing ribs, potato's, corn on the cob and cobbler!! So YUMMY! Thanks Mindy
I fixed dinner the next night...I'm not gonna lie, I was nervous! I don't cook much and certainly not in an oven the dutch made! I made Dutch Oven pizza and Moose Balls! It turned out much better than I thought! Mindy's boys loved it!
We loved being together as family and had fun fishing, tubing, eating, swatting mosquito's and hangin with each other...thanks Franklins!

THEN...as you may know, we got LOST! Scott's dumb GPS took us through miles of Colorado, landing us in Estes Park and the Stanley Hotel!!!
We walked up the front entrance and I was in love with this amazing white building. I asked people next to me,
"Are you staying her?"
Everyone answered yes, and I was so jealous!
So my husband said,
"Go see if they have a room?"
I was so excited! I went to the front desk and asked if there was a room available. There was...for $219! Scott said 'too much'!
But, they had a room for $99 at the Manor House, next door! We took it!!
I was giddy with excitement to be staying at one of the grandest, most haunted, old and historical hotels in the country!
The Stanley Hotel is the backdrop and setting for The Shining written at the hotel by Stephen King.
We stayed next door at the Manor House in room 1206...during the night Scott said he heard someone walk up to our door, listen then walk away during the night?? Ghost or weary travelers, who knows??
On the fourth floor...most haunted floor. Ghost children can be seen playing in the hallway...
We stopped by haunted room 417! Many famous people including President Roosevelt have stayed in that room.
On Sunday Scott and I headed to Colorado State Forest to Ranger Lakes Campground.
We were up over 10,000 feet! I could really feel the lack of O2! Our campground was quintessential Colorado camping! Lots of trees and COLD!
Many of the trees in Colorado are infested with a beetle!! The rust color trees are all infected and will have to be logged out! Our campground host told us 90% of the State forest will be LOST!
The forest won't look the same in years to come...90% of the trees will be logged out, to prevent the spread of the beetles!
We had one of the BEST camping trips ever!! Tubing, fishing, campfires, family, nature, grand hotel, great food, 4-wheeling, and each other... we were thankful for the time Scott and I had to be together...even when our children have grown and are camping on their own!
Loved this trip!

No comments: