Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Christmas Eve 2009

Christmas Eve has traditionally been at our house, each year. Spent with the Brezack family. It started when Scott and I were first married, we had the first grandchild, Christina. We wanted to celebrate Christmas and Scott's family was Jewish. So we decided we would spend the first night of Hanukkah with Grandma and Grandpa Brezack and Christmas Eve at our house. It was wonderful to expose our kids to both holidays. I remember buying a Hanukkah book and reading it to my kids to explain the importance of both religions and how it will be a part of the heritage of our family.
As the Brezack family has grown, we now celebrate Christmas Eve, but will always be grateful for our Jewish ancestors who suffered death at the hands of evil, while proclaiming their faith in God. And for those ancestors who fought to defect to America...who changed their birth dates and purchased train tickets out of Poland and sailed to Ellis Island so that I might have my family.
This Christmas I am thankful for the gift of family, and through the Gospel we have created a culturally sound eternal family.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

This is my favorite Christmas Eve post. I love the value of celebrating the jewish holiday as well as Christmas. I always know how grateful you are to your family...thank you for your example.