Friday, February 27, 2009

An Eliptical Day

(caution...political view to follow)

Today I was at the gym on my favorite Precor Elliptical anticipating The Bachelor to announce Molly or Mellissa on The View when Breaking News flashed across the flat screen in front of me.

I began reading as quickly as possible what President Obama was saying while he stood in front of those Military personnel. Then I read it..."I have a plan and a date for ending the war in Iraq"! I am shocked at my reaction...TEARS! As I read on I was so moved by the idea of our Military hero's coming...home. I could not stop the flow of emotion sliding down my cheeks (I used my Lifetime towel to dab at my "sweat").

As much as I am conflicted about our countries dire circumstances, I am eclipsed by my concern for our Military servants and their families.

One of the scrub nurses I work with at the hospital recently returned from her tour of Iraq. She describes her surroundings in the makeshift operating rooms she was previously working in...the missing limbs, painful stares, limited reserves, jagged bones, burned flesh, dense dark grease/blood, holes in bodies....

Those injured are not just our Military Personnel, they are Iraqi children, mothers, brothers.

August 31, 2010 will be a day to include in our Prayers, Temple worship, Testimonies, Thoughts.

I was rhapsodic with hope...

As I viewed on, how apropos, playing on my Ipod...Coming Home by The 88's!!
Regardless of how we feel about politics ending a war is principled...just ask the Israeli and Palestinians.
.

1 comment:

Garrison Propaganda said...

ohhhhh i love the precor elliptical. wonderful way to burn hundreds of calories under an hour. and its great to be able to to do it while watching t.v. youre right about the ending of the war. it will be a blessing for some and a curse for others. how teaching to hear colleagues experiences first hand.