Monday, November 2, 2009

My Sonshine goes to College

Ohhh I had been dreading/looking forward to this day his whole life!! On 9Sept 2009 we took the 15 hour drive to Ricks/BYU-I college to drop our youngest son off! I had gone to Ricks College in 1987...but only for 6 weeks! I hated/loved this college! I was unprepared for how small, cold, isolated, lonely Rexburg Idaho was. But I told Trevor..."this is the place/second place"! So Trevor packed his guitars, winter clothes, and a hidden portrait of his mother (cuz I packed it) in tubs and we drove his car and ours west.
We stopped at Davenport Apts. my old haunt and took a picture with my 6 ft tall son by my side...and the memories of college flashed past my glassy eyes!
Trevor is pretty lucky to have a piece of home staying in Rexburg too. Keirsten Bruun packed her winter coat and moved down the road from Trevor. They went to High School together and now can say they are college co-eds together as well.We had planned to stay in Rexburg for two days but after moving Trevor in, complaining about the cleanliness of the apartment, unpacking him, getting his class schedule, buying books and checking out the campus, Trevor said goodbye! I held it together as loonng as I could...we took a picture together and then Scott and I watched as our youngest son rode off into the sunset on his skateboard, never turning back! Well, till he called 20 minutes later to tell us he had forgotten $160's worth of books in our back seat!
We drove back, gave a few more hugs then headed for Idaho Falls where we were staying.
I bawled all the way back to that lonely hotel...the one we had just stayed in with the funniest teenager I knew! As Scott and I stared at each other till I felt the tears coming again! I buried my head in my pillow and WAILED!
When I finally rolled over, I looked out the window of our hotel and saw the Idaho Falls Temple lit by hope! I KNEW Trevor was where he was suppose to be and I had done my job, delivering him into Hands that we, Trevor and I both, had faith in.
The view that saved my soul...

1 comment:

Laurie said...

You are an inspiration! I love your relationship with your kids. I hope all is well with Trevor at school. But, something tells me he will do just fine...