Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Wheww A Day OFF











This is what I do on my days ON. Work is stressful, this week I was doing everything from Anterior Cervical Fusions to Carotid Endarterectomies. STRESS I tell you, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 17 years of days ON.


But today on my Day OFF I ran this! Gal and I headed to Lake Zorinsky to run the 4.5 mile trail. I have not run this trail in a while, Gal has. We chat for our warm up, again solving the world problems (Christmas decorations up at Hobby Lobby already, are you kidding me). Then we head around THE corner, turn up the Ipod, Viva la Vida for me, Meatloaf for her (we're sooo different and yet)now we're OFF. I am usually ahead of Gal, not cuz I'm better cuz my legs are longer. Then I hit some Josh Groban and come to a mere swagger, Gal passed me. Then I saw it, a little dirt path that took me SLIGHTLY ahead of Gal, I took it, she was ANGRY I could feel it thru the cement under my Asics. I was now in my ZONE. Running the back side of the lake doing the loop to the south of the park and I turned to look for Gal, she's nowhere to be seen (small smile)...surely I wasn't Kils. ahead or even yards ahead, she was nowhere to be seen. I panicked. Could she have stumbled, worse could she have hit FOOTLOOSE again and gone mad. I started to run backwards (not an easy feet or foot, whatever) she was nowhere! I head BACK! The worst possible scenario for me...back, calling for her, I check the bathroom, I ask the lady on the bike if she has seen Gal, then I turn towards the dyke about 1 1/2 miles ahead and I see Gal! Her arms all swinging, sweatshirt blowing around her waist she's running for the finish line...and I am FURIOUS! How had she passed me! Then I see it, the BIG dirt path that cuts out the entire section of the Park and heads straight for the checkered flag! I turn up Blue October and sprint! What happens next is the worst of all...I hit the hill and start to 'jog/walk' I look up and there is our friend H. Clark (who is a REAL runner, she can run with boys, wears name brand running gear, and an Ipod that wraps around her arm) she says to me,

"Gal says to hurry"!


"Hope Gal and I can still be friends after I break both her legs" I think to myself.


So much for a day OFF!

No comments: